It's weird but I see at certain places online, where some still believe that only old time hymns and gospel songs are the 'right' way to worship God with. They put God in a box and it seems in a certain cultural form of 'old time religion', like fundamentalist baptist or something. That used to bother me when I was younger. Now, it doesn't bother me as much, just makes me sigh in frustration sometimes. Now I don't listen much to a lot of pop christian radio, either. Much of it is made to make money. Contemporary Christian music has become a corporate industry and tainted for the most part...probably even with luciferians involved, etc. It's just too generic and boring for me to listen to, too. However, I'm not your fundamentalist baptist "Hymns , dresses and King James only' either! LOL. Curious to know what kind of music I listen to? Well, I love folk music..for example, I have a Joni Mitchell cassette tape on my desk...I was just listening to her tape the other night. Her song, the Circle Game always seems to move me to tears. It's sooo beautiful! I don't know any of her new stuff, but she was popular back in the 60's and early 70's. One of the hippie folkies! I love folk music. I know some of the people are new age, etc, but I loved their music...John Denver, I loved his songs..."Sunshine on my shoulder", Annie's song, Rocky Mt High, etc. When I was young Beleiver in the 80's, I had yearned for folkie type christian music.
I also yearned for a Native American expression of faith in the LORD. I remember imagining in my mind Native style worship with drums, flute, etc. Well, I discovered that sure enough, There is Native style worship!! Broken Walls , Jonathan Maracle's music, Bill Miller, and others have awesome Native music!!
One of the few worship cds that I have is that of "Enter the Worship Circle Vol I" with 100 portraits and Waterdeep is one of my favorites!! It is organic type worship...reminds me of the worship at the Intervarisity Christian fellowship at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff that I enjoyed when I was a college student!
If anyone know of any worship cds, etc that I might enjoy, let me know!! I'm always looking for new stuff!!
And, I love beautiful Israeli music!! Not just Messianic Jewish music, but Israeli music. I also loved Shlomo Carlebach's stuff. He was a very 'out of the box' folk singing rabbi. He wasn't known as very good guitar player, but his music was awesome....He told stories and sang.
I tend to like the raw acoustic folk type stuff.
I love some hymns, etc, but some bother me. Some are too traditional English staid for me...the image of the LORD as a English European monarch, instead of a Jewish middle eastern Messiah. Yes, He's King over all the Nations, but I can't worship Him with old english style phrases, etc and on hard pews with stuffy, traditioanl churchy stuff. I guess it's the Native in me that rebels against that. And knowing the history of Natives being abused by the church system in cahoots with the government to 'kill the Indian, save the man" by forcing natives to become 'white' in order to be christian, etc. They were told they had to be nice proper victorian culturally white in order to be proper christians.
I know many are sincere when they preach King James only, but it seems that they forget that the bible was orginally in Hebrew, not King James English. There were other things, too. For example, did you know that in James 2:2 where it says "For if a man comes into your 'assembly' with a gold ring...." well, the original word for assembly is "synagogue!" Look it up!! See, the antisemtic King James people translated that word assembly, but if you the history of the early church, James ministered mostly to Jewish Believers. There's evidence that they did have Jewish christian synagogues. BAR (Biblical Archaelogy magazine) had an article several years ago about evidence of a Jewish christian synagogue on Mt. Zion...with a niche for Torah Scroll. The Jewish Believers who were in Jerusalem, stayed for a few hundred years, but got it from both sides, the Constantine organized Roman church, In fact, there was a law passed by Constantine or one of the early 'popes' that Gentile christians were forbidden to associate with Jewish christians and they were forbiddened to celebrate Passover, etc, with the Jewish Christians. Did yall know that Pork was instituted as a meal to eat at "Easter' so to avoid any Jewish practices? Yeah, i read that somewhere...Will have to look it up somewhere. Anyway...it's an eye opener to learn things.
Update
8 years ago

3 comments:
On the Jewish side, check out Esa Einai on projectbendavid.com
I think it fits the type of music that you might enjoy.
You are correct on the pork at Easter part for some areas Cherokee.
Not everyone could afford meat, holidays were a special treat.
Many Sephardi hid their identity to stay alive, practicing Catholics to their peers in Spain and Portugal, but privately observing their faith.
If suspected they were watched closely. One rule of thumb was to offer Pork. Anyone who was observed not eating pork was reported.
Shoot, I would have been in trouble back then and I am not Jewish. I hate the taste of Pork!
Lara,
Guess where I got the idea to name my daughter Sunshine? Yep, good ol John Denver's song, Sunshine on my Shoulder....:)
I like a lot of kinds of music, do not tell anyone but I still listen to the Eagles ha! Good ol satanic Eagles....now I am in hot water!
I like food, period... and I like meat, veggies, fruit, whatever...I just thank the good Lord for it all and go for it....
Keep it simple.... He is not a God of bondage and condemnation.... but when I get a check in my spirit I do not do it....simple as that... who knows maybe I am too simple but it is working for me...
Love ya,
Judy
Post a Comment